Wednesday, October 26, 2011

California: Misty McVey is growing marijuana at her home and also has a Pit Bull that mauled a little girl

CALIFORNIA -- Emotions are running high in a quiet Linda neighborhood a day after learning that a pit bull that attacked a 5-year-old girl will likely return to the community in a little more than a week.

"I'll get her back in 10 days after she's out of quarantine," said Misty McVey, the owner of the pit bull that bit Tiare Faulpula on the face and wrist Monday afternoon after breaking through a backyard fence.

The child was hospitalized briefly Monday, but injuries were described as minor. She is recovering at home, according to DeAna Borjesson, a family friend and the woman who shot the pit bull in the face after it came into her backyard and home.


Efforts to reach the girl's mother, Serina Faulpula, were not successful.

The 2-year-old Pit Bull named Frajya is expected to recover, but the .25-caliber round is expected to stay lodged in her nose, McVey said.

Borjesson is incensed over the owner's plan to bring the dog back to the neighborhood. She is organizing a neighborhood campaign to keep the dog out. Borjesson has said she believes all pit bulls should be "extinct."

"It's outrageous. I think (McVey) is more concerned with her dog than she is with saving a human life," Borjesson said Tuesday.

Further fueling Borjesson's anger is her fear the dog was guarding McVey's medical marijuana grow at her home.

The Yuba County Sheriff's Department confirmed the marijuana growing at the home is legal under Proposition 215.

McVey, however, adamantly denied any connection between the dog and the marijuana.

"She's never been trained, she's not a guard dog, she's only a family dog," McVey said. "My neighbors know we grow, we told them. I don't understand why suddenly it's a problem."

McVey, a mother of three young boys ages 3, 6, and 9, said she believes the incident has been "blown out of proportion."

"I don't even believe for one minute there was even an attack, I don't believe that at all," McVey said. "I believe the child was scratched, not bit."

McVey said her dog's behavior Monday was "unacceptable," but said whatever happened, it was not an attack.

"She gets overexcited, I've seen that, but she loves children," McVey said. "She plays with my kids all the time."


At least one North State SELF-DESCRIBED "pit bull expert" agreed with McVey's theory that the dog may have been trying to play with the children.

"That could be very, very true," said Debbie Eaglebarger, owner of Second Chance Pets in Tehama County.

Eaglebarger trains pit bulls professionally and even offers classroom instruction about animal safety for school children.

"When I go to the schools, the pit bulls are the only dogs I take with me," Eaglebarger said. "They're the only dogs I completely trust not to bite."

Eaglebarger said pit bulls have bad reputations, which she blamed on the media.

"It's only because headlines like 'pit bull attack' sound better than ones like 'German shepherd attack,'" Eaglebarger said. "Pit bulls love people and they are genetically bred to be friendly."

Note: The very idea that this person can say that means that you cannot take anything she's said seriously. In fact, discount every single word that Eaglebarger says, b/c SHE IS CLEARLY INSANE! She has guzzled the pit bull kool-aid. I'm surprised the didn't mention the whole 'nanny dog' crap

She said many reported attacks are simply misunderstandings.

"[Pit Bulls] love to nuzzle the neck and sometimes people get scared because of their size and think they're being attacked," Eaglebarger claims.

Note: I've got to give this crazy lady some credit b/c I've never heard this lie before: "That pit bull wasn't trying to tear out your throat! He just wanted to nuzzle your neck. Pit bulls love to do that!"


But that is not what happened Monday, Borjesson said.

"I saw the biting and there was blood all over my backyard," she said.

Neighbors are also sharply divided over the dog's planned return.

Robin Richardson runs a child daycare center from her home a few houses away from the site of Monday's incident. She is opposed to the animal returning and said she is concerned for the safety of the six small children she cares for.

"I never worried about the kids playing in the backyard before now," Richardson said. "But I'm not going to let them out unless I'm right there."

Others neighbors, like Justin Pace, were more supportive of the dog's return, but still concerned.

"If they can keep the dog where it needs to be, it should be fine," Pace said. "But, I have nieces and nephews that visit on the weekend and the same fence in my backyard, so that's a worry, definitely."

And some said they would welcome the pit bull back with open arms.

"I don't think a dog like that would ever just attack without being provoked or something," said Jason Gregg. "I've heard it is a good dog. I have no problem with it coming back at all."

Really Jason? Go look at this little girl's face and say that.


Borjesson said she hopes to meet with McVey and her family to discuss her concerns.

"I know she cares about her children the same as me, but this whole thing is completely and totally outrageous," Borjesson said. "My kids are too afraid to go into the backyard anymore and that is really just not right. It's nothing personal against them, but I'm mad that my children are being exposed to all these things."

Borjesson said if the dog does return, she will demand the owners replace the wooden fence with a metal one.

(Appeal-Democrat - Oct 26, 2011)

Earlier: