Thursday, December 27, 2012

Woman left needing around 100 stitches after horrific dog attack

UNITED KINGDOM -- A woman who was attacked by a vicious dog in the street was so badly injured she needed skin grafts and 100 stitches.

Corinne Brennan, 59, was savaged by a husky-type dog which sunk its teeth into her arm as she took her pet terrier for a walk in Coventry.

The 59-year-old legal secretary needed surgery and spent three days in hospital after the horrific attack.


Corinne told how she was walking her five-year-old Wheaten terrier Marty in Daventry Road, Cheylesmore, when she suddenly felt her arm being pulled.

When she looked down a chunk of flesh was missing from her forearm and the injury was so severe she could see her bone.

She was taken to University Hospital where she was whisked into surgery.

Police launched an investigation into the incident, which took place near the junction with The Mount.

So far they have been unable to trace the dog behind the attack - a white and ginger husky type - or its owners.

Corinne is desperate for the dog to be found so no-one else is subjected to a similar attack.

She said: “I’m an avid animal lover - I always give to animal charities and I think some have a really rough time of it.

“I’ve always had rescue dogs and I’m the last person in the world to say that an animal should be put down.

“But if Marty had been on my right hand side when this had happened she wouldn’t be here right now.

“And If I had a toddler with me who knows what might have happened. It doesn’t bear thinking about, it could have ripped an arm off. I want this dog caught. If I heard that a similar dog had hurt a child and I hadn’t done all I could I would feel terrible.”

Corinne, who lives in Daventry Road, had popped home on her lunch break to walk Marty when she was attacked.

Now she could be off work until well into next year.

She had more hospital appointments over Christmas had called on a friend to cook dinner because she was too badly injured.

Problems with her skin graft mean that even now Corinne could face further surgery in the new year.

The injury is expected to leave significant scarring.

Since the attack on December 3 at 1.35pm she has been unable to leave the house, apart from visiting the hospital.

Corinne, 59, said: “I’ve no idea why it went for me. There was nothing to suggest what was coming.

“Marty had a little growl - maybe she had a suspicion that something bad was about to happen. “I felt my arm being pulled and when the dog let go I just looked at it.

“There was this huge hole between my wrist and elbow. It just looked absolutely horrendous.”

A nearby witness said the men walking the dog were both Asian and well dressed. They were seen running off in the direction of Courtleet Road.

West Midlands Police are appealing for anyone who witnessed that attack or who knows who the owners of the dog may be to come forward and speak to them.

(Coventry Telegraph - Dec 27 2012)